You are here
San Jose, California
Shelby, North Carolina
Washington, DC, D.C.
San Diego, California
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Type: Full Time
Salary: $80,000 - 95,000
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to [email protected]
Park Slope, Brooklyn:
Chickpeas Child Care Center is looking for an Executive Director to administer and manage the school. The 40-year-old nonprofit organization has recently transitioned from a parent-run cooperative to a DOE-funded 3K and PreK for All program, and needs an organized and community-minded individual who will continue to support the evolution of our special school with integrity and care.
Chickpeas is a play-based, family-centered program for 3 and 4 year olds. We employ an emergent curriculum and create units of study that stem from the childrens’ interests and teacher observations of their curiosities and play themes. We emphasize social and emotional development, parent involvement, and community engagement. We aim to create a nurturing first school experience for children that fosters a lifelong love of learning and a deep respect for diversity, community, and justice. Teachers provide vital guidance as kids learn how to interact with one another and the world around them, helping children figure out how to resolve disputes, handle frustrations, and collaborate constructively. Chickpeas educates for social justice and uses an anti-bias lens. We talk openly about difficult topics and help children develop the critical thinking skills that we hope will make a positive impact on the world.
We have a single mixed-age classroom of three- and four-year-olds with a maximum of 20 students. In addition to the Executive Director, we employ an Education Director who is one of three full-time teachers, and 2-3 after-school assistants. We also maintain a robust list of substitutes. The Executive Director is overseen by the school’s board of directors, which is composed of a small group of volunteer parents. The Board’s role is to support and work collaboratively with the ED in the operations of the school.
About the Role
Chickpeas is seeking an experienced individual passionate about early childhood education to serve as our Executive Director. This person must be able to work within and actively promote a collaborative environment across the community of parents and teachers. The candidate must be flexible, creative, and an excellent communicator. They also must possess strong organizational and management skills.
The Executive Director is the primary person responsible for the day-to-day operation of Chickpeas. This work includes:
- Financial management including budget development and oversight, fundraising, grant applications, audit & 990, and reporting on budgeting and expenditures to the DOE.
- Human resource administration including managing staff, hiring and scheduling, payroll, and employee benefits administration.
- Facilities and operations including insurance, third-party space rentals, building maintenance and improvement, and making/approving supply purchases.
- Ensuring compliance in all contracted and regulatory matters including licensing requirements, student records, staff qualifications, and day-to-day and emergency health and safety protocols as required by the NYC DOHMH and DOE.
- Developing relationships with current and prospective families through frequent communication, community meetings, recruitment events, and school-wide events such as Book Fairs or Parent Workshops.
- Regularly reviewing curriculum development and implementation, instructional methods, and behavior management techniques in conjunction with the Education Director.
- Spending time in the classroom teaching as needed to cover for teachers during their breaks, meetings, or absences.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, access, and inclusion being reflected across administration, programming, policy, admissions, curriculum development, staffing, and communications.
Chickpeas is open from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM Monday through Friday, September through July. The Executive Director will be expected to work year round, on-site, for 40 hours per week, with the option for remote/flexible work during August when school is not in session. Dedicating occasional evening and weekend time for board meetings, open houses, and other events is also expected.
- Minimum three years’ experience as an Executive Director or Assistant Executive Director at a full-day preschool or child care center
- NYS teaching certification in early childhood education
- B.A./B.S. in early childhood education or related field
- Excellent problem-solving and communication skills
- Strong computer skills (Word, Excel, Adobe, Google Suite)
- Proof of Covid vaccination with booster
- Master’s degree in early childhood education or related field (strongly preferred)
- Experience working with anti-bias principles and practices