Family Support Specialist (Social Work Assistant 2)
Everett Community College
August 9, 2018
Full Time - Experienced
2 Year Degree
Family Support Specialist (Social Work Assistant 2)
Posting Number: 02108 Department: Early Learning Center
Job Summary/Basic Function: This is a grant-funded position for the Early Childhood Assistance and Education Program (ECEAP) grant, based at the college's Early Learning Center (ELC). Position begins 9/1/18.
Reporting to the Director of the Early Learning Center, this position will contribute to providing culturally sensitive, strengths-based, comprehensive and integrated family support services to families enrolled in ECEAP.
Working with the guidance of an Early Childhood Program Specialist 4, this position will be part of a team with ECEAP and ELC staff to meet ECEAP performance Standards.
A flexible schedule is required to coordinate 1-2 evening family events per month as well as to provide a minimum of 3 hours of family support contact to a caseload of 40 families over the school year. The goals of these contact hours are to:
- Assess family strengths and needs. - Set family goals. - Assist families in accessing community resources. - Follow up on progress toward goals. - Coordinate transitions between ECEAP and home, childcare, and kindergarten.
Position must maintain thorough written documentation of these discussions, as well as hours of contact. Contact hours will be conducted face-to-face in each family's home or at an alternate location convenient to the family.
Position will also assist in recruitment, enrollment and parent leadership development activities, and participate in site and county-provided staff development.
Position acts as part of a reflective, responsible learning community to build an early learning program and practices that contribute to the success of individual children and families, the goals of the Early Childhood Education and Assistance Program and the Early Learning Center, and the strategic initiatives of Everett Community College.
Minimum Qualifications: 1. An Associate or higher degree with the equivalent of 30 college quarter credits of adult education, human development, human services, family support, social work, early childhood education, child development, psychology, or another field directly related to job responsibilities. These 30 credits may be included or in addition to the degree.
2. Ability to stay in compliance with all ECEAP Program Standards, state child care licensing and NAEYC accreditation requirements.
3. Ability to exercise sensitivity in dealing with individuals of diverse socio-economic backgrounds, cognitive and physical abilities as well as with individuals of diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
4. Valid CPR/First Aid Card, Blood borne Pathogens training, and Food Handler’s Permit or willingness to acquire the training(s) upon acceptance of the position.
5. Ability to pass a DSHS Criminal History and Background Inquiry and provide a record of tuberculin skin test results.
6. Strong face to face interpersonal communication skills, both one on one and in facilitating small groups, as well as confidence in written and over the phone communication.
7. Experience in Microsoft Office applications, including Word and Excel
8. A valid Driver’s license and a reliable vehicle to travel to and from home visits. (mileage reimbursed)
Preferred Qualifications: 1. A Bachelors or higher degree in human services or social work, with a minimum of 30 quarter credits in early childhood education/education/special education and a relevant field-based experience in an accredited early learning program.
2. Two years work experience demonstrating family support principles and practices and multicultural competence, while providing creative, high quality, family support services in an ECEAP or Head Start program or similar early learning program that includes home visits.
3. Bilingual skills, Spanish preferred.
Physical Demands: Everett Community College follows the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and provides the following information as a guideline for applicants: -Ability to operate office equipment -Ability to read and verify data and prepare various materials -Ability to exchange information on the phone or in person
Work Hours: Hours may vary, but typical schedule will be 7:15: am to 4:15 pm with a 60 minute lunch. Hours will change to accommodate home visits. Will also have the responsibility for arranging and completing at least three home visits per year per student, scheduled on the preference and availability of the 40 enrolled families. (Mileage will be reimbursed.) In addition, the 40 hour work week will include evening events 1-2 times per month.
Posting Date: 08/08/2018 Closing Date:8/27/2018 Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants: Applicants selected to be interviewed will be asked to bring to the interview 3 letters of reference, unofficial transcripts and a work sample. Work sample can be recent college course work, a family strengths assessment, a goals and progress record, parent newsletter or calendar of events. Please ensure that the confidentiality of any children or family discussed or pictured is safeguarded.
Everett Community College’s vision, strategic plan and core themes value, respect and uphold diversity, equity, cultural competence and inclusion. Hiring and retaining a diverse workforce is a commitment for our institution.
Everett Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious belief, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national or ethnic origin, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or age.
Position is included in the Washington Federation of State Employees Union.
Notice to Applicants
Drug-Free Campus In compliance with federal and state regulations, EvCC is committed to a safe and drug-free campus. Employees are required to comply with EvCC’s policy prohibiting illegal drug use or activity, including notification of criminal drug convictions and the use of prescription drugs or over-the-counter medications that are likely to affect job safety. The complete policy is available at the EvCC Policies page. If you would like a printed copy of the policy, or if you have any questions, please contact the Human Resources Department at 425-388-9229.
Safety and Security EvCC strives to be a safe, secure and prepared campus for our students, staff and community. Detailed information regarding campus security, crime statistics for the most recent three year period, and other information is available on the Campus Safety, Security and Emergency Management page. This information is required by law and is provided by the EvCC Security Department. If you would like a printed copy of this information, you may contact the Security Department at (425) 388-9990.
Salary: $3,267 to $4,275 per month (40 hours per week, 11 months per year)